I am a documentary photographer specialized in long-term projects that confront human rights whose work has focused on human trafficking for sexual exploitation and immigration for the last past years.
I was one of the few women photographers in Iraq in 1998 -1999. I was documenting the country under embargo and depleted uranium mainly in Baghdad and Basra, which was shown in 2001 at Visa pour l'image in Perpignan and at the Project Symposium in Santa Fe. For the same documentary “Iraq After The Storm” I have received from PDN Competitions 2001: "The Best of Photojournalism in the year 2000" and The Director's Award of the Project Competition 2000, Santa Fe of Visual Arts.
This year I will complete a 20 year documentary of immigration in Greece and under the Human Trafficking theme, I have received the 2nd best portfolio review in the Bratislava Photo Festival 2015. The essay: "Brothels in Athens: The Legal Background For Women Trafficking" was shown several times in Athens since 2011. It became an itinerant exhibition around Greece by the Secretariat of Gender Equality in 2012. In 2007 “Human Trafficking” was exhibited at The Museum of World Culture in Gothenburg, which also became an itinerant exhibition around the world.
As an independent photographer my work has been published in The New York Times; NZZ Newspaper (Switzerland); Epslon Magazine, GEO (Greece); Elle (Italy). As well as in some ONG campaigns against human trafficking such as Terre Des Hommes; International Organization for Migration; The United Nations Children's Fund; among others.
I was born in Sao Paulo. I studied at The Pan Americana School of Arts, in Sao Paulo. In 1995 I moved to New York City as a full time student at ICP. I also attended Film and International Affairs at NYU. I worked as photo editor at Redux - former Saba Press; I assisted Brian Young in Phototechnica Black & White custom Lab, printing and retouching for exhibitions, photo collectors and book publications including "Inferno" by James Nachtwey whom I assisted for almost a year until I moved to Greece where I am currently based since 2001.
• 2015 “Innocent Souls I ” - The Hidden Scenery for Human Trafficking
2nd Best Portfolio Reviewed at Bratislava Photo Festival 2015.
• 2001 “Iraq After the Storm” PDN Competition 2001: “The Best of
Photojournalism in the Year 2000”
• 2000 “Iraq After the Storm” The Director’s Award of the Project
Competition 2000, Santa Fé of Visual Arts
• 2016“Innocent Souls I ” - The Hidden Scenery for Human Trafficking - Athens Photo Festival 2016.
• 2016“Trade - Human Trafficking for Sexual Exploitation" - Dummy Selected - ViennaPhotoBookFestival 2016.
• 2015 “Brothels in Athens: The Backstage for Human Trafficking” Festival Against Human Trafficking “Break The Chain” in Athens, Greece
• 2012 “Brothels in Athens: The Backstage for Human Trafficking,” selected photographer for an itinerant exhibition around Greece by the Secretariat of Gender Equality, Greece
• 2011 “Brothels in Athens: The Backstage for Human Trafficking” Syntagma Metro Station Athens, selected photographer by the Secretariat of Gender Equality, Greece
• 2010 “Freedom” Gallery Gruppe 10. Bielefeld, Germany
• 2010 “Kurds: The People Without a Country” Mnemossyne Gallery. Santorini, Greece
• 2008 “Human Trafficking” (Collective), selected photographer for the itinerant exhibition around the world, produced by The Museum of World Culture Sweden
• 2007 “Human Trafficking” (Collective), The Museum of World Culture, Gothenburg, Sweden
• 2001 “Iraq after the Storm” Visa pour l’image, Perpignan, France
• 2000 “Iraq after the Gulf War” Project Symposium, Santa Fe, USA
• 1999 “Iraq After the Gulf War” Photography Society, Baghdad, Iraq
• 1996 “Missing” (collective) Gallery Crosby 68, New York, USA
• Dummy Book - “Trade – Human Trafficking for Sexual Exploitation”.
190 pages. Self-Published Blurb 2016
• Dummy Book - “1st Moments in Greece”.
70 pages. Self-Published Blurb 2016
• Apr 2000 - Mar 2001 - James Nachtwey - Working closely in the process of editing, archiving and qualifying the work for publishing and exhibitions purposes. New York, USA
• Oct 1996 - Apr 2000 - Brian Young - Working in “Phototechnica - B&W Custom Lab”, printing and retouching for exhibitions of Bruce Davidson, Cheng-Chin Chang, Eugene Richards, Joseph Rodriguez, Larry Towell, and James Nachtwey among others photographers. New York, USA.
• Mar 1997- Feb 2001 - New York University New York, USA
Classes in the Certificate Program in International Affairs
Classes in the Certificate Program in Journalism
Classes in Contemporary Film Language
Classes in Fine Art History
• Sep 1995 - Jun 1996 - International Center of Photography (ICP) New York, USA
Certificate Full Time Program in General Studies of Photography
• Feb 1991 - Nov 1992 Clínica Fotografica São Paulo, Brazil
Workshops in B/W printing, Photography editorial and production of Photographic exhibitions
• Mar 1990 - Dec 1992 Anhenbi Morumbi University São Paulo, Brazil
Course in Communication
• Feb 1990 - Nov 1991 Escola de Artes Pan Americana São Paulo, Brazil
Certificated in Fine Art